This week, I’m hitting the trail to share with readers my love of horses and a new horse story, Macadoo of the Maury River, the second in the Horses of the Maury River series from Candlewick Press, set in my beautiful home state of Virginia.
The series features six horses:
- Chancey, an Appaloosa (see his story: Chancey of the Maury River, book one)
- Macadoo, a Belgian Draft (just out this August)
- Dante, an off-track Thoroughbred (writing Dante NOW)
- Gwen, a Hanoverian
- Napoleon, a
demonShetland pony and
- Shasta Daisy, a Welsh Mountain pony
The books are set in the Blue Ridge Mountains at the fictional Maury River Stables, operated by Mrs. Isbell Maiden. While each horse will take a different journey to arrive at Mrs. Maiden’s riding school, they have one thing in common. The Maury River Stables gives each of them a second chance.
I love writing these books in no small part because all of my characters are inspired by real horses who I know or have known: Albert, Beau, Jake, Keepsake, Dart, Latte, Misty, Firecracker, July Johnson, Tina, TC, Pie, Mia, and Kurt. Lately, Miss Angel is helping me out, too!
And my horse adventures keep it exciting: learning to play polo, vaulting, volunteering with a therapeutic program, jumping over stuff, EVEN GETTING STUCK IN QUICK SAND!
So! Hope to see you out and about. Come tell me about your horse adventures:
- Thursday, September, 12, 2013, 10:30 a.m., Politics & Prose, Washington DC
- Thursday, September 19, 2013, 4:00 p.m., BBGB, 3100 Kensington Avenue, Richmond VA
- Saturday, September 21, 2013, SIBA Trade Show, New Orleans LA
- Saturday, October 12, 2013, TBA, Southern Festival of Books, Nashville TN
- Thursday, October 17, 2013, 6 p.m., TEEN ’13, Richmond Public Library, 101 E. Main Street, Richmond VA
- Friday, October 18, 2013, 9:00 a.m., James River Writers Master Class, Richmond VA
- Saturday, October 26, 2013, ALL DAY, SCBWI Mid-Atlantic, Dulles VA
- Thursday, November 14, 2013, 7:00 p.m., Loudon County Public Library, Gum Spring Branch, Aldie VA